Philadelphia Personal Injury Attorney
Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer Firm Overview Your Personal Injury Case FAQ Case Evaluation Contact Us
Motor Vehicle Accidents
SEPTA Accidents
Crime Victims
Civil Rights
Wrongful Death
Premises Liability
Workplace Accidents
Life Insurance Denials
Sexual Abuse
Medical Malpractice
Injuries
Click here to watch our videos
Click here to be instantly connected to our office
Click here to view our blog
Personal Injury Information Center Sexual Abuse Information Center

Pennsylvania Car Accident Statistics

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has of 67 counties. Pennsylvania has more than 118,000 miles of roads and highways; 33% (39,799 miles) are state highways maintained by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), and the remaining 67% (79,887 miles) are maintained by local municipalities and other entities. Motor-vehicle traffic crashes that occur on Pennsylvania roads and highways are investigated and reported by both the Pennsylvania State Police and the approximately 1,300 local municipal police departments. When you have been in an auto crash, you need a car accident lawyer.

2011 Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Accident Statistics

In 2011, there were 125,395 reportable traffic crashes in Pennsylvania. These crashes claimed the lives of 1,286 people and injured another 87,839 people. The 2011 total of reportable traffic crashes is the fifth lowest total since 1951 when 123,088 crashes were reported. In 2011, there were approximately 101.2 billion vehicle-miles of travel on Pennsylvania's roads and highways. The 2011 fatality rate of 1.27 deaths per hundred million vehicle-miles of travel was the second lowest ever recorded in Pennsylvania since the department started keeping records of this in 1935.

Every day in 2011 in Pennsylvania, 344 reportable traffic crashes occurred (about 14 crashes every hour).

Every day in 2011 in Pennsylvania, 4 persons were killed in reportable traffic crashes (one death every 7 hours).

Every day in 2011 in Pennsylvania, 241 persons were injured in reportable crashes (about 10 injuries every hour).

Based on Pennsylvania's 2011 population (12,742,886 people):

1 out of every 43 people was involved in a reportable traffic crash.

1 out of every 9,909 people was killed in a reportable traffic crash.

1 out of every 145 people was injured in a reportable traffic crash.

Total reported crashes in 2011 increased 3.4% compared to 2010; deaths decreased by 2.9% while total injuries decreased by 0.1%. Out of 1,286 motor vehicle accident-related deaths in 2011 in Pennsylvania, 149 were pedestrian deaths, 199 were motorcyclist deaths, 11 were bicyclist deaths, 156 were heavy-truck related deaths. In addition, 428 deaths were alcohol-related, 346 were speed-related.

2011 Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Accident Statistics/Types of Crashes

Many different types of crashes occur on Pennsylvania roads, but certain types of crashes are more prevalent. More crashes involved a single vehicle hitting a fixed object (tree, guide rail, etc.) than any other type. Pedestrian crashes, though they occur much less frequently, cause the third highest number of deaths.

Passenger cars were involved in more crashes than all other vehicle types combined. Coupled with light trucks, vans, and SUVs they accounted for the vast majority of crashes and occupant deaths. Compared with previous years, light truck, van, and SUV vehicles in 2011 were involved in a higher percentage of crashes. Occupant fatalities of motorcycles decreased from 223 in 2010 to 199 in 2011.

2011 Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Accident Statistics/ Age of Drivers Involved in Accidents

In every age group, male drivers are involved in more crashes than female drivers. Male drivers ages 21-25 were involved in more crashes than drivers in any other age group (male or female). Nearly 27,000 drivers under the age of 20 were involved in traffic accidents in Pennsylvania in 2011. More than 30,000 of drivers ages 21-25 were involved in auto accidents in the same year.

For more information, call the Lassen Law Firm, Pennsylvania auto accident attorneys.

The Lassen Law Firm only deducts a 29% fee, not the standard 40-45% like other firms.

Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and serving the Nation.

Stop Searching. Start Calling. 215-510-6755

Authored by:

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market Street #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102
(215) 510-6755