10 Tips to Help Avoid Van and SUV Rollover Crashes
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, rollover crashes are the cause of more than 10,000 fatalities each year. A rollover can occur when your van becomes off balance and off center as it turns. This is generally caused when the vehicle has a higher center of gravity, which is commonly found in vans and SUVs.
To remain safe on the highway it is important to know and understand the dangers and causes of van rollovers. Here are some tips to help avoid rollover accidents when driving a van:
- Carefully read the instruction manual.
- Be familiar with any cargo weight limits and positioning.
- Do not overload the van with more cargo than it is designed to haul.
- Make sure the van’s cargo is evenly balanced to prevent one side being heavier than the other.
- Never drive under the influence of any drugs or alcohol.
- Keep all tires in good condition and properly inflated.
- Do not operate your vehicle with more passengers that it is designed to carry.
- Learn how to defensively steer the van in a variety of difficult situations.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and potential hazards.
- Leave plenty of room between yourself and the vehicle in front of you.
Though every safety measure may be taken, there are some situations when a vehicle does roll over. In some cases, passengers can be evicted from the vehicle, resulting in major injury and possibly death. To prevent from being ejected from a vehicle that is rolling over, always wear your seatbelt when riding in a van. Regardless of where you are sitting in the vehicle.
If you are faced with an unavoidable accident while driving in a van, the first thing you need to do is search for an alternate escape from the situation. Avoid having to quickly turn the wheel to avoid an accident by looking to see if there are other places to steer toward. Alternative escape routes that require little maneuvering of the vehicle include wide shoulders, low medians, driveways, flat yards and parking lots. Knowing your surroundings at all times will help find an escape route when an accident occurs directly in front of you.
As the driver of the van it is your responsibility to ensure everyone riding with you remains safe at all times. Follow all safety precautions and be prepared should anything happen while out on the road. By doing so, you will help reduce the chances of experiencing a rollover crash in your vehicle. If you were injured in a van crash, retain a Philadelphia van accident lawyer today.
The Lassen Law Firm only deducts a low 29% contingency fee, not the standard 40-45% like other firms. We serve ALL of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. We can sign you up over the phone and start working on your case today.
The Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102