If you have been involved in one of the 500,000 tractor trailer accidents that occur in the U.S. each year, the preceding legal cases that have been filed to recover damages before you, have stacked the law in your favor. Unfortunately, the conditions of tractor trailer driving are unhealthy, the vehicle blind spot is extensive, and the majority of these accidents are caused by poor decisions made by the commercial driver. Prescription drugs, alcohol, speeding, fatigue, and even seizures and heart attacks all have influenced the drivers to misjudge distances and otherwise compromise the safety of unaware passengers on the road. In recent years, cell phone use, while officially banned by most commercial truck companies, has been implicated in the collisions.
A commercial truck weighs between 10,000 and 80,000 pounds, which means that not only do the truck drivers generally cause the accidents, but they also often escape unharmed, while the private passenger vehicle absorbs the shock from the collision. The resulting injury and loss of life can be devastating.
Fortunately, the billion dollar commercial goods transportation industry is has several elements that improve the legal settlement process in place:
· The commercial auto insurance policy and lawsuit coverage is often significant.
· Tractor trailer cabs have a black box, or recording device similar to a type used in an airplane cockpit, that can reveal to investigators the vehicle's speed and other mechanical elements before the crash.
· Following the accident, the truck driver is required to undergo drug and alcohol testing, which may determine fault and ensure damage recovery.
In the U.S., a truck accident causes nearly 13 percent of all of the deaths that occur on the road. These accidents generally occur on a weekend day on a rural stretch of highway. Some of those injured or killed are standing outside of a vehicle, while a truck unexpectedly swerves into them. when a driving professional makes an error in the workplace, unfortunately the consequences can be felt by anyone.
The steps that you should follow after involvement in a tractor trailer accident, injury or loss of life, include:
· Ensuring you speak to a truck accident lawyer in Pennsylvania to assess the damages. Most insurance companies will only offer at very tiny nuisance settlement to expedite the process and save money. You need top Pennsylvania truck accident attorney to obtain maximum compensation.
· Take action within the statute of limitations, or time period that the law allows for pursuing a legal judgment. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitation for personal injury is two years from the date of the accident.
While it is concerning that commercial truck accidents are prevalent and harmful, the issue has established a legal process that is familiar and relatively straightforward to navigate, particularly for an expert in personal injury law. It can be a difficult first step to schedule an initial consultation, but is easier with the knowledge that the outcome may be already in your favor.
Contact us to discuss your accident, concerns and other issues related to the case. We can guide you with experience and interest in resolving your most pressing situation.