Car accidents seem to be on the rise at an alarming rate. On an average, there are six million road accidents in the US alone. When people find themselves in the middle of it, especially people we love, it is a surreal feeling to see them being put in an ambulance or not being able to move due to serious injuries. Nobody wants to go through that, whether you're the victim, the one at fault or simply a witness.
The Lassen Law Firm, Philadelphia car accident attorneys, handles all cases at the reduced contingency fee of only 29%
Unfortunately, when caught in the middle of such situations, it is important to know some basics, so as to have the process expedited with as few hurdles as possible.
- Don't waste any time calling for help if someone is injured.
- Calling the police is vital; they'll document the process and gather some facts on the accident. In case you fail to bring this into their notice right away, it may very well be your word against the other individual(s) involved. Things may get out of hand.
- Be sure to exchange all relevant information with every person involved in the accident; telephone numbers, addresses, driver's license, license plates, insurance info, make/model and year of the vehicle involved. Getting names and numbers of bystanders and pedestrians is important since it may support your case.
- It's good practice to have a disposable or compact camera lying around in the car. Taking pictures of the damaged vehicle and the scene of the accident may help the post-accident process move along a little smoother.
- Make a note of details such as the date and time of accident, weather conditions, the location and any well-known landmarks. Draw an accurate diagram if possible.
- Let your insurance company/agent know as soon as you can.
- Call the Lassen Law Firm, Philadelphia car accident lawyers, to gather evidence from the scene to build a case if need be. Evidence tends to disappear fast and can go against you in a major way.
- Do not panic under any circumstances; try to remain completely calm as you call for help.
- Being in a hurry to leave the scene of the crime is going to go against you for sure, so patiently wait until help arrives.
- Don't accept blame for the accident. Neither should you place blame on the other individual. Let the authorities handle the matter
- Don't forget that taking pictures of your vehicle and the scene of the accident is crucial
- Avoid speaking to anyone at all from either insurance company without a lawyer from the Lassen Law Firm, as the statements will be used against you.
- Papers insurance companies give you to sign are an absolute no-no.
- Never agree to accept a settlement until you first talk with one of our lawyers, as any settlement offer will likely be 10-20% of the true worth of the claim.
- Don't wait unnecessarily for things to iron themselves out. A car accident lawyer must be consulted at the first possible opportunity.
Despite striving to be good drivers, anybody can find themselves in unavoidable circumstances. If you do, at least you're armed with the knowhow to get around it and save yourself unwanted trouble.