A Philadelphia woman was killed when she was struck by a pickup truck. The woman was jogging on the berm of the road when the driver of the truck hit her. The jogger was killed in the crash.
With the ongoing growth in popularity of running and jogging the number of joggers running down a busy roadway is increasing as well. Unfortunately, drivers' negligence often causes cars to strike joggers on the berm on roadways. Some joggers struck by fast moving vehicles suffer life-threatening injuries but survive crashes. Others are killed by the huge force of the crash impact. A pedestrian will always sustain more severe injuries in a collision with a vehicle no matter whose fault the accident is. Even in relatively low-speed collisions, pedestrians often sustain life-threatening, catastrophic injuries.
Everyone who runs regularly should be aware of the very real danger presented by vehicles. The danger is compounded by drunk drivers, distracted drivers who text and speak on a cell phone while driving and the fact that many joggers run at dusk and dawn when the visibility is minimal. The result is an increasing number of fatal incidents involving vehicles and pedestrians. Between 2000 and 2010, more than 6,000 pedestrians were struck and killed by vehicles.
Jogging Safety Tips
- Following basic jogging safety tips may help runners avoid being hit with vehicles:
- Do not use headphones, because you may not hear a car signal;
- Run against traffic so you can watch approaching cars;
- Look both ways before crossing and make sure the driver sees you are about to cross;
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings;
- Avoid new running routes if possible;
- Jog with a partner or a dog;
- Do not run in unpopulated areas, deserted streets, and overgrown trails;
- Wear reflective material if you run in the dark;
- Avoid running in the dark.
In the unfortunate event that you get hit by a vehicle while jogging, you need to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer can help you protect your right and receive compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering and any other losses associated with a crash. The Lassen Law Firm, Philadelphia personal injury lawyers, help you identify the liable party and receive financial recovery fast. Call the Lassen Law Firm now to speak with an experienced car accident attorney.