Two people were killed on Route 309 in Montgomery County in Pennsylvania when they were struck by another driver. According to conflicting reports, they tried to push their disabled car to safety. Their car broke down on busy Route 309 in the afternoon when it was still light. They came out of the car and tried to push it to safety. A car coming from behind hit and killed them. The driver of the car that struck the two people sustained severe physical injuries and was taken to a hospital. Drivers must be very cautious while driving on a busy highway. They should be vigilant and look out for disabled vehicles or people outside their cars on a roadway.
If your car breaks down on a busy highway, you may panic and feel helpless. Taking special precautions when you are stuck in a disabled vehicle will help you avoid serious injuries and even death.
What to do if your car breaks down on a busy roadway?
- Call for help;
- Assess your surroundings;
- If things seem safe, try to get yourself out of harm's way;
- Switch on your emergency flashers, and then, if it is safe, exist the car and wait on the side of the road;
- If you cannot exit your car safely because of the traffic, pop the hood and trunk of your car so that people coming from behind can see it;
- Keep a brightly-colored scarf in your car for emergency situations and tie it to the door handle or antenna when your vehicle becomes disabled on a busy roadway;
- Don't stand outside the car;
- If you feel safe, motion the other drivers to go around your vehicle by sticking your hand out the window to let them know that your vehicle is stopped, and you're still in there;
- Make sure you're buckled up in case your vehicle is struck from behind.
The Lassen Law Firm, one of Philadelphia top personal injury law firms, focuses its time and resources on helping clients injured in motor vehicle accidents and accidents involving drivers. We help people injured in car accidents recover financial compensation for their injuries, wage loss, pain and suffering and other expenses. At the Lassen Law Firm, our experienced Pennsylvania car accident lawyers help family members recover financial compensation for their losses associated with the death of a loved one. Please call the Lassen Law Firm now to see how we can help.